Steve and I had a great time being photographed by Colin Schye for our engagement photos. Engagement photoshoots are not always necessary though. It’s important you have purpose and ideas before taking your engagement photoshoot so that you get meaningful and long lasting photos out of it.
Here are the questions I suggest asking:
- Why do you want to take engagement photos?
- Where do you want to take engagement photos? (hint: This should be meaningful places to you, you and him, and him.)
- Is there a style in clothing or imaging you are looking for?
Once you have answered these things and find the right photographer that fits, here is my advice for a stress, free, meaningful photo session.
- Pick a photographer who’s style you love.
- Make sure the photographer offers affordable packages and no hidden costs.
- Let go of the small perfections.
- You are not like the magazines, you are like you, let them be utterly unique.
- Don’t overly stage your partner.
- Make sure to do all types of photos: funny, serious, loving, sweet, and devious.
- Have fun with it.
- Treat your photographer. Make them a part of your family and story.
- Don’t hype your expectations. Just let the shoot happen.
Last but no least. Here are some of our favorite photos from the session!